Monday, February 4, 2008

Plaxico Burress - the self-fulfilling prophecy


Before I went out to a Super Bowl party, my co-worker Grant asked me who I thought was going to win the Super Bowl. I replied "The only way the Patriots won't win is if they cancel the game." As everyone knows, I was wrong. The Giants won 17-14 after a spectacular drive engineered by Eli Manning and his wideouts Plaxico Burress and David Tyree. This is why I am not a prognosticator.

Burress should be though. The Giants' receiver had predicted a close, low-scoring victory for his team, and he was right. I have to say, I'm impressed with Burress. It's always playing with fire making a bold prediction like that. Yes, it's important to have confidence in yourself and your team, but to publicly announce that you are going to beat the best team in modern NFL history... well, that's a different matter entirely. That is bulletin board fodder for your opponents.

However, instead of a rout, Burress' prediction held true and sports fans around the globe were treated to one of the most exciting ten minutes of football they'll ever see. It really started with Eli Manning's miraculous escape from the clutches of Patriots defenders like Adalius Thomas and air it out 32 yards to Tyree who made a circus catch off of his helmet.



The Giants then continued down the field, finishing with the game winning touchdown from Manning to a wide-open Burress. Burress was instrumental in making his prediction a reality. Really, it's pretty ironic. The Patriots were reviled because of their perceived smugness and cockiness, and yet Burress is loved because he was able to call the outcome of the game.

I guess it comes down to what Julius Caesar said: It's only hubris if you fail.

No comments: